As of Tuesday, January 1, 2008, smoking will be prohibited within 15 feet of the doors of all Illinois public buildings and businesses. The statewide smoking ban, signed by Governor Rod Blagojevich in May, also prohibits smoking inside bars, restaurants and other public buildings. Illinois is now one of more than 20 states to enact such a smoking ban.
The State of Illinois has just finalized layouts for the No Smoking Sign requirement under Section 20 of Illinois Public Act 095-0017.
Section 20. Posting of signs; removal of ashtrays.
- (a) "No Smoking" signs or the international "No Smoking" symbol, consisting of a pictorial representation of a burning cigarette enclosed in a red circle with a red bar across it, shall be clearly and conspicuously posted in each public place and place of employment where smoking is prohibited by this Act by the owner, operator, manager, or other person in control of that place.
- (b) Each public place and place of employment where smoking is prohibited by this Act shall have posted at every entrance a conspicuous sign clearly stating that smoking is prohibited.
Available in the following materials:
- Adhesive Vinyl - Vinyl is economical, light duty and flexible 4 mil. thick with self-adhesive acrylic back. Peel off liner and adheres to smooth, curved or irregular surface.
- Plastic - Semi-flexible, .055” thick plastic that is economical and appropriate for medium-duty use - indoor and sheltered outdoor environments. Has enough flex to mount on slightly-curved areas.
- Dura Fiberglass - Fiberglass withstands corrosive environments and has superior impact resistance. .060” thick fiberglass will not crack or chip in extreme environments.
- Aluminum - .040” thick aluminum provides the strength of metal, yet does not rust. It offers superior abrasion and chemical resistance. Withstands splashes and washdowns indoors and outdoors.
- Dura-Vinyl - 6-mil thick dual-layered Adhesive Dura Vinyl has permanent acrylic adhesive backing. Square corners without holes; scored backing for quick peel-off and application.
- Dura-Plastic - Designed for adverse indoor and outdoor conditions, Dura-Plastic offers rigid durability and quality that match your toughest standards. Sub-surface printed legend helps to protect it against the harshest industrial environments, including chemicals and abrasion.
- Aluma-Lite - .118" thick, this ultra-light yet high-strength material makes this composite aluminum sign extremely durable - to withstand tough conditions - indoors and outdoors - from impacts and flexing to abuses such as vandalism.